This creamy chicken chowder is one of my favorite recipes for the Instant Pot. It’s a great recipe to warm up with on a winter’s day as well as very rich and filling, the perfect comfort food. This is an easy recipe to make keto friendly by simply omitting the potatoes.
Other than the usual cutting boards, knives, and ladles, the only piece of equipment you need for this recipe is an Instant Pot. I use the 6 quart model and it is perfect for my family.
This creamy chicken chowder requires a few more ingredients than I typically use, but the prep is easy.
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 4 cloves minced garlic (I use this one)
- 2 cups petite potatoes, quartered (leave these out if you want a keto friendly recipe)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 6 quartered chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, or 1 sprig of fresh
- 6 Tablespoons butter (2 for saute and 4 for broth)
- 8 oz. cream cheese cubed (1 block)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, rinsed well and stems cut off
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound bacon (optional for topping)
- Using the “Sauté” setting on the Instant Pot, sauté 2 tablespoons of butter, the celery, onions, garlic, and rosemary for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms, chicken thighs, chicken broth, 4 tablespoons of butter, and 8 oz of cream cheese. Give it a good stir to make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom.
- Change the setting to “Soup” and set the timer for 30 minutes. Put on the lid and make sure the release valve is closed. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure.
- If you plan on using bacon for a topping, this is the time to prepare it. Chop up the bacon into bit size pieces and cook it to your desired crispiness
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream and spinach and allow it to sit for around 10 minutes to wilt the spinach
- Ladle chowder into a bowl and top with crispy bacon if desired.
Tips for Success
Creamy chicken chowder is really easy to make and if you follow these tips, you are almost guaranteed to make a dish that everyone will love.
- Prepare the vegetables beforehand. You will not feel so rushed when cooking if they are ready to add when you need them.
- Buy mushrooms that are already sliced. This is an easy timesaver.
- Don’t skip the sauté step. So much flavor comes from sautéing the aromatic ingredients.
- Cut the chicken thighs into quarters before adding to the soup. This will help it to break up into bite size pieces as it cooks.
- When you quick release the pressure, if it is sputtering and making a mess, simply drape a paper towel over the release valve. This should help to minimize any mess.