This recipe is super easy to make using leftovers from either a store cooked rotisserie chicken or by roasting your own chicken. I roast my own chicken to make this easy Instant Pot chicken soup. It is one of my families favorite dishes and they look forward to having it the day after we eat my Cast Iron Chicken. The best think about this recipe is that you can make it all in one pot.
The broth is really simple to make. You can even make only the broth if you like or use it to make the easy Instant Pot chicken soup recipe. My wife will often request the broth by itself if she is not feeling well.
- 1 rotisserie chicken or the leftovers from my Cast Iron Chicken recipe (including giblets)
- 1 Large Carrot cut in half
- 1 Celery Stalk cut in half
- 1 Large Yellow Onion cut in half
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Rosemary
- 8 Cups Water
Preparation of the Broth:
The broth for this easy Instant Pot chicken soup is really simple to make and requires very little prep.
- Pick as much meat as possible from the chicken and set aside, saving as much breast meat as possible.
- Simply throw all of the ingredients in the Instant Pot. There is no need to peel the onion, there is a lot of flavor in the skin that will be pulled out.
- Use the manual setting to set the Instant Pot on high pressure for 60 minutes. Make sure the lid is locked and the pressure valve is closed.
- After the time is up, let it naturally realease pressure for at least 15 minutes, more if you like.
- Pour the broth through a colander or mesh strainer and discard all of the bones and vegetables. Set aside the broth. You may be tempted to save some of the meat that has cooked off of the bones but all of the flavor has been cooked out of it and will not add anything of value to the soup.
My favorite thing about this easy Instant Pot chicken soup is how easy it is to prepare and everything can be done in one pot.
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Medium or Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Large Carrot, cleaned and sliced (you may peel if you like, but I just leave the skin)
- 1 Stalk Celery, cleaned and sliced
- 1 Sprig Rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- All of the broth (from above)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1-1/2 Cups Wide Egg Noodles
- 2 Cups Chicken Meat, shredded or cubed
- 1 to 2 Teaspoons of salt (to taste)
- 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
Preparing the Soup:
- Add the butter to the Instant Pot and using the “sauté” setting, cook the carrots, celery, onion and rosemary (stirring occasionally) until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the broth and egg noodles to the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure
- Add the chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Let the soup cool for 5 to 10 minutes and then serve
Tips for Success
- If you aren’t ready to make the full recipe yet, you can make just the broth and freeze it until you are ready to use it. This is a great way to make use of the leftover chicken bones and giblets.
- Have an extra pot handy just to strain the broth into
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know how you like it!